Actors’ Playhouse presents award-winning musical ‘In The Heights’
Continuing its 25th anniversary season, Actors’ Playhouse presents Broadway’s Tony Award-winning best musical In The Heights at the Miracle Theatre from March 6 through April 7.
In The Heights tells the universal story of a vibrant community in New York’s Washington Heights neighborhood — a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. It’s a community on the brink of change, full of hopes, dreams and pressures, where the biggest struggles can be deciding which traditions you take with you, and which ones you leave behind.
The opening of Actors’ Playhouse’s production of In The Heights, taking place on the fifth anniversary of the show’s opening night on Broadway, marks the first time ever members of the original Broadway and national tour casts will join together with Miami’s finest talent to bring this regional production to South Florida audiences.
“In The Heights will be our most ambitious undertaking in years,” said Actors’ Playhouse Artistic Director David Arisco. “It will be the culmination of 25 years of growth as an artistic entity. Kicking off the regional future of this Tony Award-winning musical at the Miracle Theatre is the way it should be. This vibrant, 21st century production belongs in Miami.”
The principal cast is comprised of:
• South Florida’s own Carbonell, Silver Palm and Silver Knight Award-winning actor Nick Duckart (Actors’ Playhouse: Godspell, Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Next to Normal, The Color of Desire) as Usnavi
• Oscar Cheda (1st national tour: In The Heights) as Kevin
• Marcus Paul James (Broadway: Rent, In The Heights) as Benny
• Sarah Amengual (Broadway: West Side Story, Actors’ Playhouse: Next to Normal) as Nina
• Rayner G. Garranchan (City Theatre Shorts for Kids, The Alliance Theatre Lab’s Home Sweet Funeral Home) as Sonny
• Doreen Montalvo (Broadway: In The Heights) as Abuela Claudia
• Christie Prades as Vanessa
• Television star Denise Celina Sanchez (Esta Noche Tu Night, Sabado Gigante) as Camila
• Elise Santora (Broadway: In The Heights, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Capeman, Man of La Mancha, first national tour of In The Heights) as Daniela
• Alicia Taylor Tomasko (Broadway: In The Heights) as Carla
• Jose-Luis Lopez (Broadway: In The Heights) as Grafitti Pete
• Henry Gainza (Actors’ Playhouse: Godspell, Spelling Bee) as Piragua Guy.
The creative team for In The Heights includes Choreographer Stephanie Klemmons (based on original choreography by Andy Blankenbeuhler), Musical Director Manny Schvartzman, Assistant Director Henry Gainza, Scenic Designer Sean McClelland, Costume Designer Ellis Tillman, Lighting Designer Patrick Tennent and Sound Designer Alexander Herrin.
Preview performances of In The Heights will be held Wednesday and Thursday, March 6 and 7, at 8 p.m. The show will open on Friday, March 8 at 8 p.m. and play through April 7, a the Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile.
Evening performances will be held Wednesday through Saturday at 8 p.m., with afternoon matinees on Sunday at 2 p.m. A special weekday matinee is scheduled on Wednesday, March 13 at 2 p.m.
Preview night tickets on the first Wednesday and Thursday are $37. Tickets for weeknights and matinees are $42, and on Friday and Saturday evenings $50. The theatre offers a 10 percent senior discount rate the day of performance and $15 student rush tickets 15 minutes prior to curtain with identification. Discounts are based on availability and exclude Saturday and Sunday.