Search is on for ‘Young Talent Big Dreams’ contestants
Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre and The Children’s Trust announce the third annual launch of Young Talent Big Dreams, the most widespread local youth talent contest in Miami-Dade County.
Kids between the ages of 8-17 will compete for prizes ranging from performing arts scholarships, master classes with industry professionals and cash awards to tickets to local attractions and theaters.
Countywide competition begins the weekend of Nov. 10-11, with auditions at five venues; the semifinals and finals will be in April 2013 before a live audience at the Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
Presented by The Children’s Trust, the contest has five solo categories: voice, dance, musical instrument, original spoken word and original vocal and/or instrumental composition; and group categories of six or less members: dance, instrumental and rock/pop/jazz bands with vocals.
Participation is free of charge and limited to residents of Miami-Dade County; parental consent is required. Children may compete in one individual and one group category only, and those who pre-register will be given priority audition times.
“We are very proud of the opportunity to work with The Children’s Trust for the third year to make this exciting and important opportunity available to the talented young artists in our community,” said Actors’ Playhouse Executive Producing Director Barbara S. Stein.
Young Talent Big Dreams is modeled after reality TV talent shows that have gained in popularity in recent years. Judges will include local celebrities and professionals from the performing arts community.
“During the past couple of years, it not only been inspiring to see so many talented kids come forward to participate, but to learn about how many of them have been inspired by the competition to seek additional training or opportunities in their art,” said Modesto Abety-Gutierrez, president and CEO of The Children’s Trust.
“We’ve also been able to connect some of the children in Young Talent Big Dreams to programs they never even knew about, and that’s a wonderful outcome as well.”
For full details, including contest rules and registration forms, visit www.actorsplayhouse.org or call 211.
• Saturday, Nov. 10, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, 10950 SW 211th St., Cutler Bay.
• Sunday, Nov. 11, 1-5 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
• Saturday, Jan. 26, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: Aventura Arts & Cultural Center, 3385 NE 188th St., Aventura.
• Saturday, Feb. 16, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
• Sunday, Feb. 17, 1-5 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
• Saturday, March 2, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: Paul W. Bell Middle School, 11800 NW 2nd St., Miami.
• Saturday, March 16, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.: Little Haiti Cultural Center, 212 NE 59th Terr., Miami.
• Saturday, April 13, 1-5 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
• Sunday, April 14, 7 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
• Saturday, April 20, 8 p.m.: Miracle Theatre, 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables.
Young Talent Big Dreams is sponsored in part by Wells Fargo, Steinway & Sons, the Miami Marlins Foundation, Baptist Health South Florida and Pollo Tropical.